Monday, September 2, 2013

French Cookies



I can't give an exact reason as to why I selected this as my next project.  Perhaps only because I had all of the ingredients on hand.  It certainly wasn’t for the detailed instructions that promise a no-fail baking experience!  It was just a “cookie day” at our house (i.e. a day that required slight elevation above the routine).  What could be more elevated than a cookie from France?

Why are these labeled “French” cookies?  I googled both “French Cookies” and “French Cookies with Coffee,” and found an assortment of brown sugar and butter cookie recipes that popped up.  One required an iron to press the cookie dough into a pizzelle, many others called them “sables.”  However, none included coffee as an ingredient.  As a matter of fact, I couldn’t find any cookie recipes that called for cold coffee.  Most used instant coffee, and one even called for French Roast coffee grounds – hmmm…I think I’ll pass.

Butter and Brown Sugar seem to be the most frequent ingredients listed in French Cookies



I had to guess on the measurements and relied on Betty Crocker for help.    


French Cookies
1 ½ cup Brown Sugar (hard to tell if the recipe card says ½ cup or 1 ½ cup.  I opted for more sugar based off Betty Crocker’s guidance).
¾ cup shortening
2 Eggs
1 cup cold coffee
1 tsp soda
Cinnamon
Baking Powder
Flour



The result - moist and rich in flavor, with a cake-like texture.


My notes:   

  • I used unsalted butter, 1 tsp cinnamon, and 1 tsp baking powder.  Obviously, the cup of coffee made this batter pretty soupy, so I used about 3 cups flour.
  • I tested different baking times and temperatures.  I think they worked best at 375 degrees for 9-11 minutes, and recommend not using a non-stick liner such as Silpat.
  • I have to admit that although they were really good; they screamed for a little frosting because they were cake-like.  I happened to have a little cream cheese frosting on hand, and it was wonderful! Plain vanilla frosting would also be good.
These cookies rated high with my family …but then again, very few cookies aren’t enjoyed at my house!

If anyone has knowledge of how these cookies should be made differently, let me know!  

 



No comments:

Post a Comment