Friday, August 30, 2013

Baked Chicken Loaf





I have a confession to make on behalf of Grandma.  Her recipe box is filled with lots of options for the sweet tooth, and not as much for the meat and potatoes crowd.  I somehow doubt this is the way they ate every day, but I can distinctly remember growing up with a daily offering of dessert to finish our supper.  My, how things have changed!  (At least at my household).   My family wonders what the event is if they come home to homemade baked goods.
So, this recipe is one of the rare entree selections!  Again, out of necessity, I happened to have leftover chicken that was calling out to me.  As I was baking this, Bryce notified me that his friend was staying for dinner (Midwest translation = "supper").  His friend has a healthy appetite, so I was worried this wouldn’t feed us all – but that’s the beauty of this dish.  It makes a little go a longer way – which is probably one reason it made it in the box!  



Baked Chicken Loaf
1-3 lb chicken cooked and removed from bones. 
Cut fine and add:   2 minced hard-boiled eggs, 1 cup cracker crumbs (save 1/3 for top), ¾ cup thick white sauce, ½ of a pimento (minced).
Season with salt, pepper, and celery salt.
Place in buttered dish, sprinkle top with cracker crumbs and butter.
Bake for 30 minutes.




Eva’s notes: 

  • I don’t have a selection of crackers around, so used a strange mix of Panko bread crumbs and Cheez-Its. 
  • I was hungry and wanted to cook as fast as possible!  I divided it into two smaller baking dishes, and set the oven for 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
  • I also don’t keep white sauce on hand, and dislike using anything like this that is canned.  I made my own based loosely off a recipe from Cooking Light.  It's a keeper!
Tangy White Sauce:
¾ cup 1% milk
2 tsp Dijon mustard
½ tsp black pepper
1 large egg yolk
1 ½ tsp butter
1 minced garlic clove
2 tsp flour
Combine milk and next 3 ingredients (through egg yolk) in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk.  Melt butter in a medium saucepan over low heat.  Add garlic to pan; cook for 3 minutes or just until butter and garlic begin to brown, stirring frequently.  Add 2 tsp flour to pan, and cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly with a whisk. Stir in milk mixture, and bring to a boil.  Cook for 1 minute or until thick, stirring constantly with a whisk.

What was the consensus?  It disappeared quickly with requests to make again.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment