Wednesday, August 7, 2013

My Favorite White Cake

My version with fresh-picked blueberries and whipped cream



With a name such as "My Favorite White Cake," who could resist the temptation to give it a try?  White cake to me is very decadent in that it requires a level of fussiness to separate the egg whites from the yolks, and then there is a decision of what to use the yolks for?  (I can't imagine Grandma getting rid of any food, and I'm sure cholesterol wasn't the issue that is it today).  Plus, this recipe calls for cake flour...something I usually skimp on.  So, I see this cake as being special.


This recipe must have seen a lot of use!  Minimal ingredients and no instructions.



My Favorite White Cake
1 1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter
1 cup water
3 cups cake flour
2 teas. baking powder with 4 beaten egg whites
Flavoring

Since there weren't any instructions - I gave my best guess based from other recipes, my baking experience, and watching numerous hours of the Food Network!


Here is how I tackled it:
Cream sugar and butter together, add flavoring (I opted for 1 tsp vanilla.  I would also vote for lemon zest next time - if you're going to be fussy, why not go the extra mile?)
Alternate adding water and cake flour (I did not skimp this time!)
Beat egg whites with baking powder until soft peaks form (this seemed strange, but I took the recipe card literally)
Fold egg whites into cake batter.

Grandma didn't say what size pan - so I'm guessing she had a specific pan that was always used...and that was that.  I opted for 2-8" pans that had been oiled and dusted with flour, but a 9x13 would work.
Bake 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes.


The result?
Light and fluffy.  Sweet and buttery.  Since it's blueberry season here, I opted to make a quick sauce and serve with whipped topping.  4 stars!



The only additions for next time would be the lemon zest and a pinch of salt. Salt is a flavor enhancer, and this needed just a touch of counterbalance to the vanilla sweetness.  However, I can definitely see why it was labeled a favorite!

No comments:

Post a Comment